Overview: Any number of events could force you and your family into a survival situation. This document is to be used as a guide on what to do now to prepare for such an event before it happens. This document will provide essential information in what I call “THE FIVES”
Emergencies: This plan will incorporate in overall plan for what do in the following scenarios, which could happen during a natural disaster such as an earthquake or man made disaster such as hyperinflation, economic collapse, or civil unrest. It will take into account the following:
- Electricity is out
- Natural Gas is not flowing
- Water in your tap is not running
- Gasoline has run out at all gas stations
- You live in an apartment or house
- Banks are closed
Recognize your situation: By me typing this document and communicating it to you I am risking myself. No one wants to be in the middle of emergency situation. However, your life and those you love will need you to RECOGNIZE the severity of the situation and begin to take action quickly. The quicker you can analyze the signs of problems and then take steps, the better your chances of emerging on the other side. For natural disasters you may or may not get warnings from government agencies, so what we are going to do is be prepared ahead of time with food, water and gear stored for that earthquake. For man made disasters being on the ready and staying informed of what is going on around you is your best defense. Types of things to look in for in hyperinflation, economic collapse, or civil unrest:
- “Run on Banks” Go look yourself, do not rely on our media.
- Cell phones not working for over an hour—no signals
- Internet connection going down for over an hour or two
- Electricity going out for entire cities with no apparent reason for over two hours with no feedback from your electricity provider
- Stock Market Crash of over 1000-2000 points in one or two day period
- “Terrorist” attack effecting large city through weapons or bio-chemical
- Massive Inflation (hyperinflation)—In the range of 50-100% jump in prices on all goods within several weeks-“Run on Stores and gas stations”
- Troop movements on the highways and mobilization at bases such as Camp Parks, or Alameda County Fairgrounds.
- Maintained civil unrest in cities for several weeks
Strength by staying calm: We have all watched movies where people panic and then they die. This is one thing Hollywood is accurate on. Any of the situations listed in this document will come with great panic by the majority of the population, because they are not prepared, in denial, or absolutely not physically equipped to deal with these types of emergencies. We are going to stay as calm as we can, here’s how:
- Calm Breath—deep 5 second breath’s to calm down, slow anxiety, as needed.
- Fast Action and Decisions—you will know how to handle most situations.
- Preparation—while others are running to get supplies, you have them.
- Peace of Mind—God has a reason for everything, focus on God…Pray for guidance.
- Lead—your family needs your leadership now more than ever, analyze, give directions…follow up…inspire confidence.
- Coordinate with your selected neighbors—make sure those that are prepared are seeing what you see.
Remember Hurricane Katrina—Take time pulling up videos on what happened at the Grocery Stores, Target, and Wal-Mart. Experts agree that in panic emergency situations our stores have about 2 days supply of food, water, and supplies. That is assuming they have power to open the doors and check you out. You might think that you have plenty of food in your cabinets and refrigerator to hold out two weeks…you don’t, unless you prepare. First power will most likely be out, that gives you two to four days before most of fridge is spoiled with Frozen items quickly thereafter, no where to go get ice, stores won’t have power either. You need food that is easy to prepare, high in nutrition content, and can be prepared in individual servings since your refrigeration is gone.
How Much Food Do I Need: Many might think that I can go two weeks without food. Yes examples below say you are right:
|Medical Doctors||Commonly cite 4 to 6 weeks without food|
|10 Political Prisoners in Ireland||Lived 46 to 73 days before succumbing to lack of food|
|12 individual starvation protestors||Two lost tongues, 1 lost feet, 7 on kidney dialysis|
|Many war prisoners||Lived 28 to 40 days with no food|
|World War II concentration camps||With only 300 to 600 calories per day, many thousands did not have enough food to survive more than a few months at best.|
|Terminally Ill patients||Live 10-days to 3-weeks without food depending upon initial heath|
|Obese||Can live from 3-weeks up to 25-weeks and more without food depending upon initial health and amount of fat|
For our Survival Plan we are not going to live without food or just eat the potato chips and drink Pepsi that we have in the cabinets. Let’s look at this from actually a good nutrition point of view: During survival situations your body is BURNING calories. It will be critical that you have stored enough calories to handle the average daily consumption but also the increase stress consumption.
|Person Type||Average Daily||Additional Needed||Total per Day|
With this chart you can calculate how many calories worth of food that you need to purchase and store away. You need to buy enough to meet the calorie requirements, protein needed, and variety for two weeks per person. This then needs to be stored in a designated dry area, in containers that will keep insects and rodents out of it.
Survival Food Kits and Options: Several companies have put together freeze dried and dehydrated food supply kits together to help take the calorie count portion out of preparing. I strongly recommend three that I own and have eaten.
- Thrive Products from Shelf Reliance: Available online or through Costco.com.
- Efoods Direct: Available online. They have totes prepared of food for one person to survive two weeks
- Mountain House Foods: Available online or at top line retailers such as Sport Chalet, Bass Pro Shops, REI…Good pre made foods in portable pouches, however expensive.
We can not live without water; neither can we cook the food in our storage without water. Needless to say we must have water in storage in large quantities to prepare for two weeks when the tap goes dry. To calculate the water we need estimates will be used, every body needs a different amount especially based on temperature outside, no power equals no air conditioning. We will base this on no showering or bathing.
64oz to drink 64oz to cook per person = 1 gallon of water per person per day.
There are two recommended methods to store water I would recommend using both. First get a water storage container with capacity between 10 gallons, to 55 gallon drum. Have water purification tablets available. Second is to have one gallon sport plastic bottles stored. Important to get SPORT versions that are built with a higher grade plastic and have handles. That way in case you need to move the water can move much easier with you. If you are responsible for yourself and your spouse you should have a minimum of 28 gallons of water stored.
Water Boiling and Filtering: When you sense that an emergency situation is arising based on your observations of key events happening, IT would be one of your smartest moves to take every empty container that you have in your house and fill it with tap water, including your bath tub. Water in your pipes that is pumped to you should be good to drink for many days without treating. Soon thereafter you will need to boil or filter your water sources, unless it is in the sealed one gallon plastic containers. I recommend everyone to have a minimum of one survival water bottle with carbon filters available as part of your two week plan.
Cooking: I can not stress how important it is to have a good high efficiency fuel or propane source. When things are stressful for me it brings great comfort to have one cup of hot coffee. The number of people of relying on you will guide the cooking set up you need. A typical two burner propane stove that runs on small green propane cans will work well for two people, however if cooking for four or more you need something more powerful. If it is just you, and for situations that need you to vacate your home a one burner, high efficiency fuel camp stove works excellent.
No Electricity= No Lights=12 hours a day of uneasiness, and restlessness. Let’s look at basic 2 week survival gear in a couple different buckets.
- Lights–$40.00 right now can buy you a good LED headlamp that uses AAA batteries. Candles provide light for extended periods plus heat. Since you already have propane for you stove it would be wise to have one propane lantern. Typical outdoor solar pathway lights work very well to. Have more than one light source, and plenty of batteries. You also need to light and ignite so that means matches, or lighters.
- Protection—In this plan all I will say is that when you have prepared and stored food and water, others that have not will want it, Those not panicked may barter for it, others will try to take it by all means necessary. It would be wise to have weapons such as knives, bows, or guns, with knowledge on how to use them. At a minimum a self defense class. There is also protection in numbers, why it would be important to have the Survivors Network Map available and know where others at all for help when needed.
- First Aid—Important that if you are on medication, wear contact lenses, that you have two weeks worth of them on hand. A first aid kit is needed as well as Neosporin, and Hydrogen Peroxide. One small cut can turn into a life and death situation if not cleaned and disinfected quickly.
- Communication—this will be one of the most difficult areas for the majority of the population. Many are trained to get their marching orders from what they are told on radio and TV. Should you have a radio that includes the weather and emergency band, yes hopefully a hand crank version so you do not need batteries. However great caution should be given to the information given over the airwaves.
- Miscellaneous—you need a good Hip connecting backpack, to be able to assemble a “Grab and Go” pack as needed. I would recommend you spend money on this one, something sturdy and large enough to put 50 lbs of gear in. This can be purchased at REI or Sport Chalet usually in the range of $90 to $200 dollars. If you have four people in your family I would recommend at least two. Items such as bug spray, binoculars, respirators, ear plugs, rope, small fishing gear, are all life savers when needed.
- Bible, Constitution, and a journal —a pocket version of both the bible and the constitution could be the two most important items you have. Both should be located inside your survival vest. A writing journal and PEN or PENCIL is critical to help you plan, and write down events.
- Survival VEST—this will be used to identify you to others within the club, it will carry critical items such as silver coins, lights, maps, bible, ear plugs, etc.
Gold/Silver Money and Bartering: When there is a run on banks how much is that dollar in your pocket worth? Many of the emergency scenarios I have outlined in this document involve the government’s inability to stabilize or build confidence in the dollar that it prints. Therefore it is so important that you have at minimum silver coins in your emergency plans. I would recommend a minimum of one tube (20 coins) of silver bullion, (minted .999 pure). A secondary benefit of your food and water storage will be your ability to use it to barter, (exchange for someone else’s goods that you need). At times like this silver coins, cartons of cigarettes, and bottles of liquor will have tremendous value. The silver coin tube should be located inside your survival vest.
Survivors Network Map—this is a handheld fold up Thomasville Map that indicates a few items on it.
- Location of entrance points to wilderness areas that your family will meet at if needed
- Location of other like minded “certified” survivor locations that have prepared like you
- Skills of those on the map identified, such as construction, gardeners, welding, food storage, medical, weaponry, communication and media skills, electronic geeks, etc…everyone has a skill or two that will be live savers for those in the network when we combine them.
Conclusion: Putting in place this plan will cost about $1200-$1500, plus about 30 to 40 hours of your time. I can not stress the how much more piece of time you will gain in return for those investments now. More than piece of mind is the knowledge base you will gain as you research and learn, plus the network of friends that you will build.
May God bless you
May God bless America