Black Friday is here, a day that will be written about in the history books of the future as a day that symbolizes better than any other the disease of consumerism and its death grip on the majority of the American people.
Why not spend, or better yet go into debt for a 5th flat screen LCD TV, or that perfect coffee maker to replace the three other perfect coffee makers I have from years past. It is your civic duty to spend today, and keep spending all they way up through Christmas. Your shopping will revive the economic recovery in America, provide jobs for retailers, and restaurants, and of course of the manufactures of the goods you are purchasing. What could be a bigger part of the American Dream, then coming home with bags filled with gifts for your self, your children, and your friends. Nothing says I LOVE YOU more than a shinny new video game for junior, or a “gift box of Jack Daniels”, for that hard working man in your life.
I hear that $500,000,000.000.00 will be put on plastic debit cards today alone. Stores are opening at midnight, because they say the consumers want it. I am guessing at least $100 million dollars has been spent in printing all the advertisements that went out in newspapers over the last week and direct mailers. Tis the season to be jolly, fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la, or so the song goes.
Now why would I want to put a damper on this euphoric state of the American citizen. If you watched TV at all over the last week, you witnessed a crazy insane woman in Target commercials, so giddy with happiness over the deals she was about to get she was shacking and trembling with psychosis similar to the mental condition I witnessed in my two ex-wives! You were shown on your “news” programs that people were LINING up to get into stores because the deals are so good, and that was reported as good, over and over again. (While other citizens at UC Davis were being peppered sprayed by campus police in full riot gear because they were sitting on the sidewalk with their arms locked).
So Americans GO OUT AND SHOP!! Who cares about that Europe debt issue. The whole Iran and Syria thing where we just placed two aircraft carrier battle groups on their shores, that can wait. Our congress raising the debt ceiling to $15.5 trillion and unable to reduce spending by one penny, no matter, we will just print money and solve that little crisis. This occupy protest thing, just let the fully armored and militarized police spray, beat, cuff, and stuff those losers, because they are blocking my way to the stores!!!!!
Did Visa just text me they would raise my credit limit…….YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- What you own, owns you.
- Marketing has us chasing clothes, cars, and shit we don’t need.
- What is a Duvet?
- I am not the size of my bank account, or the clothes I wear, or the house I own.
- Peppering Protesters in the Park (isoutrage.wordpress.com)
- If Marketers Went Caroling, What Would They Sing? [Video 1] (hubspot.com)
- Thanksgiving, the Celebration of Consumerism and Cultural Dominance (misanthropologirl.wordpress.com)
- The No New Gifts Holiday Challenge (zenhabits.net)
- Black Friday shoppers – a state of mind (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Can I avoid getting junk for Christmas? (ask.metafilter.com)
- The No New Gifts Holiday Challenge (toddlohenry.com)
- the consumerism in my closet (ecstaticinstant.wordpress.com)
- Shopping in style on Black Friday (conversations.nokia.com)