Diplomat Akio Matsumura is warning that the disaster at the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan may ultimately turn into an event capable of extinguishing all life on Earth. Matsumura posted a startling entry on his blog following a statement made by Japan’s former ambassador to Switzerland, Mitsuhei Murata, on the situation at Fukushima.
Speaking at a public hearing of the Budgetary Committee of the House of Councilors on March 22, 2012, Murata warned that “if the crippled building of reactor unit 4 – with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground – collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4,” writes Matsumura.
In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel; dangerously, they are open to the air. This would certainly cause a global catastrophe like we have never before experienced. He stressed that the responsibility of Japan to the rest of the world is immeasurable. Such a catastrophe would affect us all for centuries. Ambassador Murata informed us that the total numbers of the spent fuel rods at the Fukushima Daiichi site excluding the rods in the pressure vessel is 11,421.
Matsumura admits this is an astounding number and one difficult to comprehend. He wrote that 85 times more Cesium-137 than released at Chernobyl “would destroy the world environment and our civilization. This is not rocket science, nor does it connect to the pugilistic debate over nuclear power plants. This is an issue of human survival.”
- The Largest Short-Term Threat to Humanity: The Fuel Pools of Fukushima (zerohedge.com)
- Fukushima Daiichi Site: Cesium-137 is 85 times greater than at Chernobyl Accident ” Akio Matsumura (2012indyinfo.com)
- Former Japan Ambassador Warns Gov’t Committee: “A global catastrophe like we have never before experienced” if No. 4 collapses – Common Spent Fuel Pool with 6,375 fuel rods in jeopardy – “Would affect us all for centuries” (enenews.com)
- Former UN advisor: If No. 4 pool collapses I’ve been told “during 50 years continual, you cannot contain” (VIDEO) (enenews.com)
- Tokyo Evacuation plans drawn up! “Grave Concerns”, over Fukushima (faithandsurvival.com)
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima spent fuel has 85 times more cesium than released at Chernobyl – “It would destroy the world environment and our civilization… an issue of human survival” -Former UN adviser (enenews.com)
- Ambassador Murata writes to UN Secretary General: “It is no exaggeration to say that the fate of Japan and the whole world depends on No. 4 reactor” – Appeals for independent assessment team (enenews.com)
- Fukushima Daiichi Site: Cesium-137 is 200 Times Greater Than At Chernobyl Accident (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Fukushima One Year Anniversary (faithandsurvival.com)