Yes, scripture does tell us to prepare for an emergency. Okay then, that is the shortest article I have ever written, have a nice day.
How about I give some of the scripture to support my answer.
I am going to look at the question in categories, then in each category I will provide examples. For this exercise I used three books from the new testament, Mark, Matthew and Acts. I am sure I could find hundreds more passages throughout the bible that would affirm even greater my conclusion, and perhaps in time I will. But for today, let’s give thanks to God for Matthew, Mark, and Paul.
Preparing for an emergency: In my experience of training and teaching people to prepare for an emergency the first and most difficult roadblock is acceptance that one will happen. Americans today live in a life that has been improved by advancements in technology, and a belief that our taxes pay for emergency services such as Fire and Police man, as well as government agencies such as FEMA, and Homeland Security. With all these emergency trained people and departments why do I need to prepare myself, they will assist me. Well, maybe, depending on the type and scope of emergency, but I like to give people examples such as what happened during Hurricane Katrina, or Japan’s earthquake. Yes, there may be some government assistance, however that assistance will be stretched thin, and may need to spend all its efforts on the immediate problem, which most likely will not be to provide you food and water. Therefore, would it not be prudent to have your own emergency plan and supplies in place today? What does scripture tell us.
- Do you see all the buildings…..I assure you they will be so completely demolished that not one stone will be left on top of another. Matt 24:2
- However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the son himself. Only the father knows, and since you don’t know when this will happen, stay alert and keep ready. Mark 13:32-33
- You must be ready all the time. For the son of man will come when least expected. Matt 24:44
- A person in the field must not return to even get a coat. Matt 24:18
Understanding the depth of pain and TRUTH from a disaster: Today we watch the news, read the paper, view the Internet with stories of human tragedy and death as almost an afterthought. Each day I would argue are brains are shown images of war, violence, emergencies, and human suffering over and over again. We are becoming “immune” to the emotions associated with such images. Part of that is a way that our brains work to protect ourselves and allow us to continue our daily lives. However with that “disconnect”, from the emotional pain of human death and suffering, comes a wall of denial that a life or death emergency situation will ever happen to you or your family. I provide this quote to all:
“The river of denial is deep and wide, it is time to swim to surface, breath in the truth and find the shore.”
Now with realization of the truth also will come persecution from those whom are not ready to leave that river of denial. What does scripture tell us:
- Look I am sending you out as a sheep amongst wolves…. Matt 10:16
- In fact, unless that time of calamity is shortened, the entire human race will be destroyed. Matt 24:22
- Then they went from town to town, explaining the decision regarding the commandments that were to be obeyed, as decided by the apostles and elders….Acts 16:4
- Her master’s hopes of wealth were now shattered, so they grabbed Paul and Silas and dragged them before the authorities at the marketplace…..They are teaching the people to do things that are against Roman customs. Acts 16:19-21
- To open their eyes so they may turn from darkness to light, and from power of Satan to God. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and be given a place among God’s people. Acts 26:18
- For the heart of these people are hardened, and their ears can not hear, and the have closed their eyes, so their eyes can not see, and their ears can not hear, and their hearts can not understand, and they can not turn to me, and let me heal them. Acts 28:27
Water and Food Storage: This is one of the most basic needs of mankind, to be able to feed and provide water for yourself and your family. Today is seems that with a grocery store on every corner and Costco right down the street who needs to do this. Well you do. The painful hard truth is that with real time logistics, and refrigeration, that when an emergency hits, all those stores AT MOST, will have a two day supply of food and even less water on hand for the massive rush of people that will flood their doors. When very few have food and water stored in quantities in their own homes, then all those grocery stores can never have enough stocked in them. To make matters worse, very few have their own gardens, fruit trees, or a means for any lasting ability to provide food for themselves. Also, their main source of water is not from their own well, but from a government run agencies water line. During the time of the Holy Bibles writing their was not a Safeway on every corner, however some scripture does speak to this topic:
- And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded. Matt 10:42
- Jesus replied, “they do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” Matt 14:16
- They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketful’s of broken pieces that were left over. Matt 14:20
- Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I have compassion for these people, they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way”. Matt 15:32
Using gold and silver as currency: Gold and silver was how goods and services where bought and sold for the last 6000 years up until the “invention” of paper money in the 19th century. Since over our lifetimes all we have used is paper money it is difficult for the population to believe it will ever go away. Maybe it won’t, however I would be of the opinion it will some time in the future. I believe it is critical that in any survival plan you have one ounce silver bullion coins purchased and “on your person”. What does the bible say:
- Don’t store up treasuries here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Math 6:19
- No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other…you can not serve both God and money. Math 6:24
Economic and Societal Collapse: This one is self explanatory, and for sure the bible tells us much scripture on this topic:
- Any kingdom at war with itself is doomed. A city or home divided against itself is doomed. Matt 12:28
- The nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other, and there will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world. But all this will be only the beginning of the horrors to come. Matt 24:7-8
- Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold Matt 24:12
Flee to the wilderness: A portion of the emergency plan that I train is to prepare and have supplies and gear in place to flee to the wilderness. I cover this as a last resort once your home is no longer safe, and that of designated fall back homes have been compromised as well. It is hard for many to truly grasp this as an option. Our homes are built so well, how could they ever fall apart or no longer be safe. Again, watching the effects of the tsunami in Japan and earthquakes throughout the world should help you understand how little protection your home provides you. The bible is clear on this step of preparation:
But those who endure to the end will be saved. Math 24:13
- A person in the field must not return to even get a coat. Math 24:18
- Jesus said, “foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but I, the son of man, have no home of my own, not even a place to lay my head. Matt 8:20
- Then those in Judea must flee to the hills… Math 24:16
Today I am very blessed to understand my purpose, which is to “ring the bell” as loud as I can to the depth of the problems of our country, and to be of service to train others in the best survival methods I know to provide a better chance of surviving the emergency situations that will come from our societies collapse. For the 95% percent of the population that is living in denial, and God has not opened their eyes to the truth all I can do is prepare the 5% to the best of my ability. By me spending time highlighting what I am doing is based in sound scripture perhaps another 5% will allow themselves to open up to what it is I train.
May God bless you and your family.
Filed under: East Bay California, Training · Tags: acts, earthquake, emergency plan, emergency services, fema, god, mark, matthew, new testament, preparing for an emergency, what happened during hurricane katrina